NOAA is getting with the times and now you can find out about NOAA chart updates on Twitter here: http://twitter.com/nauticalcharts
PolarView users can download and update NOAA charts directly from the program. Just follow these step by step instructions:
1. Open “Download” dialog by selecting “File-> Chart Download” menu or using keyboard shortcut Ctrl + ‘D’ (Windows) or Cmd + ‘D’ (Mac).
2. Press “Select” button to select area on screen.
3. Click on the first point on a chart. A yellow selector box should appear. Move the mouse to resize selector. Click on a chart again to stop resizing selector box and finalize selection.
4. In “Download” dialog click “Find Charts”. A new window should open, as shown in the image below, presenting you with a choice of available ENC charts for selected area.
Chart in the list will have different color depending on current status, also shown in status column. Charts that are up to date will be shown in blue. Charts that are out of date and have newer version available, will be shown in red. Charts that have not been previously downloaded will be shown in black.
5. Select charts you would like to download or update. To select a block of charts, click on the first entry, scroll and Shift-click on the last chart entry. To select multiple individual charts use Ctrl + click (Windows) or Cmd + click (Mac).
To update existing charts, sort by “Status” column by clicking on column heading. Once sorted by status, you can select only those charts that are out of date or not installed.
6. Press “Download” button to download and install selected charts.
That’s all there is to it 🙂