August 22, 2010
While the next full version product release is quite a ways off, an update is now available with some important functionality users have been asking about.
PolarView NS 1.4.72 is now available for download. This update brings:
– Improved support for BSB charts using datums other than WGS84
– GRIB display now supports precipitation rate (“rain”), and precipitation data has been added to Polar Navy GFS GRIB data download.
– GRIB display now supports ocean currents and water surface temperature display. New data model for Atlantic ocean currents has been added to our GRIB download service. Based on excellent Real-Time Ocean Forecast System for Atlantic waters, provided by NOAA, this data is useful to all mariners looking for Atlantic current and water temperature information. You know what that means – fishing 🙂
The update is available for download now.
March 9, 2010
As you probably noticed, PolarView is supplied with a “copyright-safe” set of tides & currents for the US waters from NOAA. I often get asked for tidal data covering other parts of the world. The answer is that there is no “official” set of constituents that Polar Navy Co can provide for legal and organizational reasons.
That said, a number of TCD databases covering various areas of the world are available from various sources. Some of these files are collected and can be downloaded from this page. Please note that these are not in any way official, or guaranteed to be correct. They come from sources unknown and their quality can vary greatly. Also note that copyright status of such data may be not well established. Some of this data can only be legally used with free software. YMMV, as they say.
Tides in tropical paradise
December 17, 2009
– Tides & Currents (graphic/text display, TCD constituents database)
– GRIB wave direction display
– Improvements to ENC chart display and scaling, incorporating some user feedback.
PolarCOM/PolarIS – release to sync up version number with PolarView.